‘Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.’
-Anonymous.
My father has a transferable job and out of it, I get a chance of visiting
quite some places. Recently one of such places was Tumkur. Located in
the state of Karnataka, it is around 2 hrs drive from the city of
Bengaluru.
Truly said, the more we visit, more we come to know about the diversity
of the places in all aspects; culture, people and physical vividness.
Gradually we start adapting to the surroundings, the climate, the people
and add to it the accent of people. But adapting is no piece of cake and
peculiarly when it comes to language.
Reminds me of an incident, where every morning I went to milk parlour.
An old man sits there in his kingdom of packed milk bags. His homecum-
shop has a 4 feet boundary wall and a gate, which he generally
keeps shut, and he does his business from a 15cm X 10 cm box holed out
in his wall. Here comes the worst part for me; he neither knows English
nor Hindi.
Day 1: I asked him to get me 1 litre milk, the blue packet. The moment I
finished, the look on his face gave me a clear perception that my
language was from some other planet. Immediately I pointed him the
packet I wanted and he returned to me with it. I handed him the
hundred rupee note and then began the mayhem. He launched series of
‘Kannada’ arrows. Might be he was asking for change or some other
things if I wished to buy but it was totally out of my syllabus. And while I
was bombarded, I tried looking for help from any other customer nearby.
In return they gave me a, ‘Yes, you deserve this for not knowing
Kannnada’, look. In my defence, I tried convincing him that I don’t know
your language. God! He spoke like continuously for literally a minute.
And I, from freshly woke up went back to exhausted. I guess he also
realized that he had failed in being ‘Kannada Guru’, returned back with
left-over money and some candies.
I decided that I am not going without any shield in the battle field the
next day. I went to Google Translate. Learnt a few basic ‘Kannnada’ lines
which would be needed for my face off tomorrow. Now that was suicidal.
I said, “Ondu litar halu, nili pyaket” (yes, it is easy to learn simple
words). And what followed was a wave of his dialect going out of my
simple domain. I realised my blunder. This time his minute long speech
had phases, the optimistic phase where he thought I am getting what he
is saying, the frustrated phase where he knew his speaking is no more
good and the last one, the retarded phase when he left with “he is a damn
retard” look on his face.
For the coming day I had a policy; you see me as dumb, I will be dumb
for you and deaf as well. I took the exact change required, pointed him
the packets and handed over money. He spoke sometimes but of course
those words were of no meaning to me. So, me kicking off with another
language, I guess we weren’t synced. Apart from him, the other shops
were generally English/ Hindi friendly, luckily.
In ‘Tumkur’, what makes you fall in love with is the weather. The
wonderful breeze in evenings and slight cold at night, enough to pull
your blankets out. And add to it is the untimely drizzle of rain. Once
returning from a med shop I was stuck in such a down-pour. And when it
rains in our country, you will eventually find a ‘chai-shop’ in the vicinity.
I took shelter in one of the chains of ‘chaiwala Inc.’. Now chai stall is
such a magical place, where you can’t estimate the exact number of
people which can be accommodated. And find any chai stall across the
country, all the people will discuss is politics. I could make out the
intermittent BJPs, CONGRESSs and DMKs used in their conversations.
Amidst their aggressive conversation, I kept mum on one side. Probably
they grew suspicious, and one of them again asked me something which
to their disappointment I didn’t understand. I told them that I have no
idea of ‘Kannada’ and I am new to this place. And after that it was like
they left the territory of politics and I became the prime focus, the guy
from the other side of the same country.
Now, while in Tumkur, all the people will at once will recommend you to
first visit the ‘Siddaganga Mutt’. I said yes, I have already visited there.
So, then they began explaining about the history of that place. Then
someone started from the other side of the bench, that the Mutt has its
origins in 14th century. When Sree Haradanahalli Gosala Siddeshwara
handed over his headship of Mutt to next successor and with his 101
followers, went to hills for meditation. After a long time to quench the
thirst of one of his disciple, he hit one of the rocks and a stream of water
came out of it. The holy water was named ‘Sidda-ganga’. This water is
believed to have healing powers. Then I realised that now a days while
visiting places, we have restricted ourselves to selfies and pics only.
Then they latched to other places which I must consider visiting. The
Lakshmi Narshimha Swamy Temple, the local markets and some of the
local dishes, which were too volatile to skip my memory. But the best
part was the enthusiasm with which they were trying to explain me. It
kind of felt the same way we try to elaborate about the little part of India
we know about, to foreigners. Despite not being fluent in Hindi, they
tried to add up whatever they had to explain to me. I felt kind of thankful
for the effort they put in. Then I realised how vivid is our culture and
how small part of this vividity do we occupy.
“Travel makes you modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the
world.’’
- Gustav Flaubert
Nice one Kk...
ReplyDeleteSuch an articulate writer..amazing KK :)
ReplyDelete