Lucknow
10th Board results were out. Ayush was
delighted, as he must be; topped school with exceedingly outstanding marks. Now
was the perfect time to remind Mum and dad about the unsettled promises they
had made. Best were the days when dad drove to the Pizza Corner; today was one
of those.
Ayush sensed that no time would be better for his due
iPhone what Dad had offered him as ‘bribe’ for ‘to-be-a school-topper’.
Ayush: “Don’t
forget dad, the new iPhone has already been launched.”
Dad: “Not at
all son. First thing Friday morning you’ll have it”
Ayush
(excitingly):"Thanks dad. This is the best gift ever."
Dr. Sharma was bit
worried regarding what his son would opt as future stream, engineering or
medical. A family of 2 doctors was willing to welcome their son as a newest
member to the doctor cadre. But being progressive parents, they had to agree
with whichever stream Ayush opts. Still a part of him was tilted more to one
side.
Dad: “Thought
something? Which side you are going to roll?”
Ayush:
“Engineering is the way for me dad. At least this much I have made out by now.”
Dad: “Are you
sure? I mean medical can be a very good choice too.”
Ayush: “Nah
dad. I have thought over it. Actually I have something to tell. I have applied
for the JEE classes in delhi. They are conducting their entrance test next
week. Kind of the best institute for JEE preparation."
Dad
(surprisingly): “Oh! That came out of nowhere. You have already made up your
mind”.
Ayush: “It’s
not like that dad. Do you even remember last time when we talked this much”?
Dad: “Actually
I’m glad that you have come up to this by yourself. But you must have similar
option over here too, isn’t it? Have you thought over it?”
Ayush: “Yeah
dad, they do have a branch over here too. But the one in Delhi is better. As it
is, they are charging around 1.25 lakh for the course at either place. So I
think Delhi is more suitable.”
Dad: “No Ayush,
it’s not about the money. It’s just that…… Umm……Nothing……Let it be. When you
have to go Delhi?”
Ayush: “Test
centre is here only. After admission I’ll have to go by next month. I’ll tell
you the dates dad.”
Dad: “Yeah.
I’ll arrange for your tickets.”
Ayush: “That
will do dad. Thanks”.
Ayush got admitted in JEE
classes; a premiere institute for Engineering entrance examination preparation.
They had a core of leading teachers for every subject and detailed analysis
based preparation for their students. Ayush started to enjoy the way he was
being taught there. He kept on preparing hard; his fingers crossed seeking
admission in the top engineering college in India.
Gaya, Bihar
Lalit was ecstatic. He featured in the news
column of the hindi daily. ”Shop-caretaker’s son is the district topper”. He
was the new celebrity of the locality. More than wishes, he was filled with
advices. His mathematics teacher, Dubey Ji, called him up. Although he had
nothing to do with Lalit getting full score in the subject, yet he considered
himself the coxswain behind his feat.
Lalit had nothing planned
up for the time coming ahead. He had heard of the JEE preparations and all; but
had nothing stored up for them yet. For the time being, his mind was
over-contented with the vibes of his achievement; till he reached Dubey ji’s
residence.
Dubey Ji: “Became
a hero, eh”?
Lalit(giggling):
“No sir, nothing like that”.
Dubey Ji: “So
hero, what next? Delhi or Kota?”
Lalit was baffled to the
question and didn’t how what to respond to it.
Dubey Ji: “
Aree bhai, you are going for engineering side, isn’t it? So, where you have
planned to move”?
Lalit: “ Not
thought over it yet sir.”
Dubey ji: “So
when will you? When all the admission for all the institutes are over, then?”
Lalit: “When
will the admission commence?”
Dubey Ji:
“Forms are already in the market. I’ll tell Prakash to get one for you.”
Lalit: “Sir I
have heard that these courses cost about 2 lakhs a year or such?”
Dubey Ji: “As
far as I know at least that much you have to pay. It is like 1.25 lakhs + other
expenses.”
Lalit: “Ok sir.
I will arrange some money for the form. I will have to leave now. Mother asked
me to be back by dawn.”
Lalit had now almost
forgotten his achievement ecstasy; replaced with 3 words: ‘Delhi’, ‘Kota’ &
‘2 lakhs’. He couldn’t deviate his mind off these words from his thoughts
throughout his walk to home. In the scenario where the imagination of such a
huge sum was par from sight; the thought that, if arranged, that much amount to
be put on only his expenditure was smothering. These thoughts continued to toss
inside his head till it was dinner time.
Ma had also made a bowl
of pudding for him; which she makes on account of special occasions just for
him.
His parents were able to
make out that there was some angst within his mind. His lost face was a clear
proof of the suspicion. Father decided to break the silence and dig into the
matter.
Father: “What
happened? You should be cheerful today. After all you have passed matric with
first division.”
Lalit: “No, no.
I’m really very happy.”
Father: “But
you look tensed. What’s the matter?”
Lalit: “Earlier
today I met Dubey ji. He told me about these preparatory classes for JEE in
Delhi and Kota. He suggests me that I should apply for them. But…”
Father: “But!?”
Lalit: “You
know papa, it takes around 2 lakhs per year of expenditure.
There was a moment of
uneasy pause in the room. Lalit waited for his father to respond, given the
extra-large size of money he just uttered from his mouth. Lalit’s father knew
that almost this much amount of money is needed for these institutes as he had
heard from his Seth. He also knew
that he was in no condition to afford that. Now only thing he could rely upon
was the understanding ability of his son.
Father: “See
son, you know that neither your family is in order to assist you with such
heavy amount nor my 10000 rupee salary is. I may try my best but still I don’t
think it would be sufficient even to sum up 1 lakh.”
Lalit knew exactly what
his father meant. And in some ways he knew this. He also knew the financial
situation of his family and in some ways he also disapproved himself going for
such courses.
Father: “Beta,
I can try arranging as much as possible but honestly, I don’t think I could be
able to avail such huge sum.”
Lalit: “That
won’t be needed papa. I have thought of staying here only. At this point of
time, I don’t know how will I achieve, but I will.”
Father: “And I
will make sure that I can get you the best resources possible from my extent.”
Lalit went along preparing in his hometown
only. He got some assistance form his local teachers. He became more of an
opportunist. Pleaded seniors to teach him a topic or two. He used to borrow
books from them for a week. As time progressed, he proceeded with more and more
enthusiasm and dedication towards his goal.
JEE Results were out.
Ayush qualified with an All India Rank of 527, while Lalit procured 6188th
rank. So, what went wrong with Lalit that he wasn’t able to match up with Ayush’s
performance when both of them started nearly at same level? Was he less in
talent or dedication? The answer is he was as talented as was Ayush and also put
forward his best efforts to achieve his goal.
This contrast between the two can be understood by a simple logic. It is similar to a situation where you equip a solider with full armoury, put in front of a man with none and ask them to fight. It’s simply unjust. From this point of view it’s easy to think of the fair and unfair. Similar situation is faced by Lalit, where he is not equipped with the teaching aids what Ayush has got. So the competition is not based on talent, rather it’s the money being the deciding factor.
So what could be the
solution?
Every individual participating
must be on a same level in order to justify the term “equality”. But
unfortunately that could not be done. So the term “Reservation” comes into
existence but not on the basis of caste but on the basis of ‘financial
condition’. The mention of a candidate’s caste is irrespective of the talent he
possesses. It depends upon the facility and opportunity available for him to
nurture and groom his talent. If Lalit was not able to get better rank, it’s
because that he wasn’t subjected to better facilities for preparation. So, he
wasn’t on balanced scales with Ayush. So, reservation on the basis of financial
condition should be introduced until we can avail the minimum facilities; after
which we can claim that yes, the scales are even now. Its time now, when ‘discrimination
and reservation on the basis of caste’ to be stopped. Help the talented people
to break free from their financial bondage and can share a common platform.
Because at times, equality doesn’t mean justice.

Very true....we need to work in this field so that everyone would be able to use his whole potential and the students like Lalit get the right information based upon these they can decide what to do and accordingly plan for their future.
ReplyDeleteThere will be....the day we stop discrimination on caste basis and think to uplift the financially deprived. More lalit can be given the opportunity they deserve.
Delete